Top > About AGU > Chronology

About AGU

Aichi Gakuin University and its Long History

1876
Founded as the Nagoya Branch Training Center of Soto Zen Buddhism at Daikoin Temple, Monzen-machi, Nagoya
1890
Renamed the Branch Training Center the “Soto Buddhism School” following the “Soto Buddhism Educational Ordinance”
1896
Renamed the Eighth Academy of Soto Buddhism (middleschool)
1899
Merged and renamed the Seventh (Mikawa), Eighth (Owari) and Ninth (Mino) Academies into Aichi Academy
1902
Renamed Aichi Middle School the Third Academy of Soto Buddhism according to the revised Soto Buddhism Educational Ordinance
1925
Renamed Aichi Middle School
1947
Re-established the school as “Aichi Junior High School” under the new post-war school system
1948
Established Aichi High School and adopted the collective name of “Aichi Gakuin”
1950
Established the Aichi Gakuin Junior College Department of Commerce, comprising day and night courses
1951
Established the new Department of Letters (a night course for religious education majors) at Aichi Gakuin Junior College
1953
Accredited by the Ministry of Education as a “University”; founded the Faculty of Commerce along with the Department of Commerce; appointed Yuzo Koide, chancellor, the first president of the university
1955
Renamed the school “Aichi Gakuin,” an incorporated educational institution
1957
Established the Faculty of Law, with the Department of Law
1961
Established the School of Dentistry, with the Department of Dentistry
1962
Added the Department of Business Administration to the Faculty of Commerce
1965
Appointed Tessen Takeda, chancellor, the second president of the university
1970
Established the Faculty of Letters comprising the Department of Religious Studies (the present Department of Buddhist and Religious Studies) and the Department of Psychology (currently belonging to the Faculty of Psychological and Physical Science)
1974
Moved the university to a new campus in the former town of Nisshin, Aichi-gun, Aichi Prefecture (currently Nisshin City); added the Department of History to the Faculty of Letters
1976
Celebrated the 100th anniversary
1986
Added the Department of International Culture to the Faculty of Letters
1988
Appointed Tadataka Koide, vice President, the third president of the university; added the Department of Japanese Culture to the Faculty of Letters
1990
Established the Faculty of Management, with the Department of Management; signed an academic exchange agreement with the University of Edinburgh, U.K. (Faculty of Letters)
1993
Signed a sister school agreement with the University of the East College of Dentistry, the Philippines (School of Dentistry)
1998
Established the Faculty of Information and Policy Studies comprising the Department of Information and Policy Studies (the current Faculty of Policy Studies, Department of Policy Studies)
2001
Added the Department of Industrial Information (the current Department of Business Information) to the Faculty of Commerce; established the Department of International Business (the current Department of Business Systems) within the Faculty of Management
2002
Added the Department of Law and Contemporary Society to the Faculty of Law; signed a friendship and academic exchange agreement with Hunan Normal University, China
2003
Signed a friendship and academic exchange agreement with Bond University, Australia; awarded of an honorary degree to, and delivered a special lecture by, W. J. Clinton, the 42nd president of the United States of America
2004
Added the Department of Health Science to the Faculty of Psychological and Physical Science.
2005
Opened the Honorary Consulate of Lao PDR in Kusumoto Campus
Established the School of Pharmacy, with the Department of Pharmaceutical Health Care and Science; signed a sister-school agreement with Dalian University, China
2006
Reorganized the School of Pharmacy into a six-year program; added the Department of Dental Hygiene to the Junior College; celebrated the 130th anniversary
2007
Added the Department of Global English to the Faculty of Letters
2008
Added the Department of Health and Nutrition to the Faculty of Psychological and Physical Science
2010
Appointed Hideto Ohno, the vice president, as the fourth president of the university
2013
Faculty of Economics, with the Department of Economics established
2014
Meijo Koen Campus opened
2014
Appointed Etsujo Sato as the fifth president of the university